Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Grocery Savings - Want to Try??!!

If we're friends on facebook, you've probably seen my many updates lately about grocery store savings.  I've joined a group called Polka Dot Pantry and have found some great deals, and quite easily over the past couple of months.
I've done the coupon game before, all out, bunches of stores, bunches of newspapers, long lists, etc. But along with that comes lots of frustration.  When you've spent so much time and effort and the deal doesn't work out like you'd hoped (which often happens), it is so discouraging.
But at Polka Dot Pantry, they only show the very best deals.  We're talking the store pays you to take the item (aka overage), free or ridiculously cheap kinds of deals.  So the way I'm doing it is shopping like normal for the most part at Aldi (which by the way saves us hundreds on its own) and then making a quick trip to Publix each week to take advantage of the deals. And making the list and gathering the coupons is quick and easy because the site is organized to make it simple!
I've been much more self controlled this time around, not falling for Publix's beautiful displays and exciting new products.  I stick to my list and am finding great savings!  Here are a few examples of my shopping trips...

This is $86 worth of groceries that I only paid $11 for.  The rice was all free, they paid me $5 to take the 10 packs of mentos and the Coffeemate was free.  Great shopping day! 

 This shopping trip cost me 69 cents.  Six 4-packs of yogurt (which we're still eating on), 2 deodorants and my token Saturday morning coke.  You realize that the Coke costs $1.19, right?!

This was from this week.  For all of this, valued at $80 worth of groceries, I paid $17.  Even the cashier asked me about this one.  All 5 body washes and all 5 deodorants were FREE!  That stocks Shane up for at least a year.  This was a great trip with stuff we really use all the time!

If you buy razors (and truthfully I hope you do), you know how expensive they are.  I got all of this for $8.  The razors alone normally cost more than $11.  So if you say I paid the $8 for the razors, that means I got 2 Coffeemates, 2 bags of Chex Mix, Sargento Shredded Cheese and Brownie Mix for FREE!

If you want to try to get in on the deals, check out Polka Dot Pantry, using the link here so that I get the referral credit.  Also, if you just want more info, they have a tab called "Classes" that gives lots of info for free.  Start saving and share your savings with your friends to get referrals too.  And let me know how you do!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very impressive, Kristin! Great job! But I have to be honest, I am confused in how you meal plan with this. It seems like you got great stock up items but do you get the rest of the things you need for dinners and such at Aldi? I am all for be a good steward of our $$ and like seeing your savings!

Unknown said...

Oops. I was logged in as Todd. It is actually Rachel (but I bet you figured that out). :)