Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Kindergarten Experience

Bennett had his first day of kindergarten this week and he absolutely loved it!!! We walked to and from school each day (except one afternoon attempt at the carpool line, which I wasn't a fan of). The walk is a little long (about 1/2 mile each way), especially in the afternoon heat but what I like best about it is that I get a pretty detailed account of the day while we walk. I love hearing all about the classes Bennett went to, the decisions he made, the things he's being taught and how he feels about his day. It's the next best thing to being right there with him.

On the first day, about half way through our walk I got a little weepy and Bennett says to me "It's alright Mom, I'm good!" He was so ready and I'm very proud of him. Shane met us behind the school to walk as a family the last part and when we got to the sidewalk by the door, Bennett gave us a quick wave (which I took a picture of) and then he walked right in without even turning back. It was heartbreaking for this mom but also reassuring that he was so confident!

After the first day, he kept telling me about all of the fun things they did. Another mom was saying how her son was telling her all of the things he didn't like about his day so I asked Bennett, "Was there anything you DIDN'T like about today?" and his response was "No, I liked everything about kindergarten!" What a relief!! And he felt the same each day this week. He was excited to have a couple of days just to play this weekend but I think he'll be excited to go back on Monday too. He's so big I can't stand it but I know he is ready for this and I have to take my first little step towards letting go!

Standing in back of the school where we met up with Shane
Right outside the school - lunchbag & backpack ready

He said he'd smile nice if he could do a silly face too


There he goes - one last wave and he was gone!! (Sniff, Sniff)
The day before school started, the boys wanted to have lunch outside. It was so sweet and a great way to end the summer.

2 comments:

TBG said...

what a big boy!!!! i know it's hard for you momma---you should be SO PROUD of yourself that you've prepared him so well to be so confident and sweet!

Jenn Cawood said...

Wow, how life changes and children grow and chapters end...it chokes me up AND gives me joy! Emma will be starting Kindergarten tomorrow, at the same school as Liam, just across the country from where we assumed it would be. I am so incredibly blessed to have lived a chapter of my life with you, dear friend, in it!