Friday, July 29, 2011

An Exciting New Opportunity

I'm so excited about some things that are going on in my church and hopefully will spread around Birmingham (and across the country!)!  I have been feeling the Lord's tug on my heart for orphans and specifically those in foster care, mostly since I started The Bible in 90 Days program in early 2010.  There is such a need to minister to them, both by providing for their physical needs all the way to becoming a foster parent and investing your life into them.

In the midst of trying to learn more and decide as a family if we were ready to become foster parents, I came across a blog I love by Jami Kaeb.  She has 6 kids, 8 years old and under...2 biological children, one adopted internationally and three young foster children.  She has an amazing heart for the Lord and for his children!

This spring, she began a new ministry and that is what I have recently become involved in.  It is The Forgotten Initiative and it is all about connecting God's people to the needs in the foster care community.

I have visited Jefferson County's DHR and have gathered our first assignment (school supplies and uniforms - you can find out more on the website if you are interested in helping).  Our goal is to build a relationship with them and find ways for the Church to meet their needs in a variety of ways, including increasing the number of Christian foster families who are willing to love on these children.

Probably the easiest way to keep up with what's going on is to "Like" the facebook page, which is set up just for Birmingham.  We will be posting needs and updates there.  There is also so much information on the website as far as what TFI is all about and how you can help.  I really hope you'll check it out and share it with others.  The more people who are informed, the more chances we have to meet the needs that are out there!

Finally, this video (from Arkansas, but you get the idea) is posted on the website and is such a powerful message about what goes on with children and a motivation to find out how their needs can be met on every level.  I pray that you will be moved to help!!


Will you answer the C.A.L.L.? from The C.A.L.L. in Arkansas on Vimeo.

No comments: