Sunday, October 23, 2011

What We've Been Up To

We get asked often about how homeschool is going.  Overall it is great so far.  Just like everybody else, we have good and bad days.  But overall, Bennett is learning so much.  We go to the library most every week and he loves to read.  He is so into science experiments, especially if something bubbles, foams or turns colors.  We enjoy Classical Conversations, the school we go to on Mondays and the amount of memory work we've learned so far is amazing.  Every week we learn history, Latin , English grammar, science, math, geography, art or music and a timeline of history since the beginning of time.  It's a little tough to have few breaks and I can see my weaknesses coming out in Bennett as we spend so much time together.  But overall I love the memories we're making, the flexibility of each day and the level of learning we can achieve, both scholastically and spiritually.
I had some pictures to download from my phone and thought I'd post a few cute ones to show some of the things we've been up to.  So here goes...

We went to the zoo several times before it got so chilly.  Here are the boys with our friend Emory.  This was right after petting the goats who were quite feisty.  One dove off the top of the rocks flying through the air and the other kept trying to head butt all of the kids.

The three headed giraffe!






'

A few weeks ago, we did a real homeschool field trip.  We went to Children's Theater and saw Cinderella.  It was fun and the boys did great.  Plus I got to meet a blogger I love, Lora Lynn from Vitafamiliae, who apparently lives in Birmingham.  It felt like a celebrity citing but hopefully I kept my cool.

Here's Noah making his calmest face possible

And as usual, Bennett smiling and excited

They let the kids go on the set at the end and even meet the characters.  The boys did not want to meet the characters but they did go up on set.  Noah posed so nicely for me.




I wish I could say that my kids compliantly do all kinds of chores around the house but it would be a complete lie.  I'm taking a break from that discipline right now (ie I do all the work around the house myself so my house is usually a total disaster).  But Noah does love to do the recycle and I can now let him out of the car at the end of the driveway and he brings the can all the way up.  Big boy!
 Bennett's been begging for a basket on his bike to carry around his Webkinz, Dragon.  We did it today and it was so easy!  We just got 2 for $1.50 baskets at Dollar General and a pack of zip ties.  Wrap the ties around the handle bars and basket and voila!!  They love being able to take things along with them.  (If you look closely in Noah's basket, you'll see he's carrying a gun.  Look out world!)
 Our neighborhood usually is pretty good about Boo-ing each other.  We got it started this year and put the usual junk and candy in.  But I had seen these cute oreos dipped in candy melts and turned into jack-o-lanterns so we decided to give that a try.  Cute and yummy too!!

This one was a while back but this was one of those great days where the boys cooperated to complete a project.  This usually happens when building something, which is why I love all things lego, lincoln logs, tinker toys, etc.  Here we have a tinker toy and lincoln log barn.
That's a little about what we've been up to.  How about you??


No comments: