So, many of you know about my great smoothies that get fruit & veggies into the kid easily and in a fun way. I guess my mom gets the original credit but anyway, just throw a handful of raw fresh spinach into any smoothie recipe and the taste is not altered, just the nutrition value & color. Green smoothies are a source of great fun in our family - also known as Christmas Milkshakes at certain times of the year. So those usually include a handful of frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries & peaches are our favorites & always some banana), a little fruit juice (apple or orange), a scoop of plain yogurt and a handful of spinach. Very yummy & nutritious. So I was talking to Bennett about the smoothie I was going to fix him at lunch yesterday, and he said "No, I want a chocolate drink." (ie Hot Chocolate - not exactly an even trade from a mom's point of view). So I started thinking and said, "How about a chocolate smoothie." Of course that was a yes. It turned out very yummy and here's how I made it:
Strawberry Chocolate Smoothie
1 handful (approx 7) frozen strawberries (freeze them in summer for later in the year or buy frozen ones)
1/2 frozen banana
1 handful fresh raw spinach
1/2 cup (that's a guess, just enough to make it drinkable) milk
Good squeeze Hershey's syrup (about 1 Tbs.)
Blend well in blender & enjoy!
Bennett loved it and since Choc. syrup in that small portion isn't really bad for you, it is a great, nutritious treat. Hope you try. Let me know if you make any other variations so we can try too!!
1 day ago





3 comments:
Wow! I'm so impressed! I'll definitely have to try this. Meredith is at the age where she hates to take time to eat. I used to make one for me that was frozen fruit (berries), a banana, and vanilla yogurt and it was yummy too! Thanks for sharing!
Will isn't a big smoothie fan (go figure...he is the picky eater), but I have made them before with frozen fruit and one of those V8 Fusion juices. They taste really good and already have a serving of fruits and vegetables in it. So adding the spinach would put more veggies in it!
Thanks for the smoothie recipe. We love making drinks like that but I've never added the spinach. I'm going to have to try it for my boys:)
Post a Comment